Thursday, July 16, 2009

raze permit for the old gas station

the long-abandoned gas station at 1234 Good Hope Road finally has a raze permit. Owned by the District, the gas station site is directly across from Honfleur Gallery and adjacent to the Anacostia Gateway office building.



Although originally planned to be part of the Anacostia Gateway Government Center, rumor has it that the project is off the table and the city is again deciding (how actively I'm not sure) how to use the site.

While they're deciding, (and believe me, I rarely advocate for parking) I think they should make an attractive temporary parking lot like they did at the old convention center downtown. Not only would it clean up the corner, it would provide some much-needed public parking near some of the neighborhood's most visited new amenities.

photo / graphic by DG-rad

7 comments:

CHARLES WILSON said...

not a bad idea

Anonymous said...

I'm almost sorry we didn't get a hotel on this corner, because it's a superb location for one. I think it would have been a bold, bold move and would have brought much needed jobs to the area. Of course, the kind of surrounding retail you'd need to compliment a hotel, isn't there yet.

Mel Dyer said...

I'm almost sorry we didn't get a hotel on this corner, because it's a superb location for one. I think it would have been a bold, bold move and would have brought much needed jobs to the area. Of course, the kind of surrounding retail you'd need to compliment a hotel, isn't there yet.

AnacostiaQUE said...

Amazing that I was just saying to my brother how a HOTEL could work in Anacostia. Compared to more expensive areas, lower rates could be offered and people might be inclined to stay in such a historic area, with plenty of character.

As a result, businesses would come.

Brandon Green said...

A hotel might sound good, but they usually follow business to an area rather than the other way around.

David Garber said...

I agree - as much as I'd love a hotel, I think we need more residents, retail, and office first. Then again, I'm not aware of any hotels east of the Anacostia...

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! BIG HOTEL - Underground Garage Parking, Dining & Entertainment, Local Retail Services.. ONE STOP SPOT!

Let's Push For It, ANACOSTIA!